Dycusburg contact us


Dycusburg News

Margin


Seven Springs Provided Name for Community

Church With a History
Seven Springs Missionary Baptist Church in November 2006. In the early 1900s, the church was moved out near Hwy. 70 on a spot of ground adjacent to where the present building now stands. The land was donated by J.T. and Sallie Hall and James Riley and Jennie Brasher. The old frame building was torn down immediately after the current church was built in 1967.
From the archives of The Crittenden Press come these interesting articles on how some of our old post offices and communities were named. These articles first appeared in several issues in the year 1931. It was reprinted Oct. 20, 2005 in "Forgotten Passages," a column by Brenda Travis-Underdown.

A row of springs, a few feet apart, have since disappeared. The Seven Springs Church, according to J. A. Guess, clerk of that church, was so named because when it was first built it stood close to seven large springs, which with the exception of one have since disappeared.

The first Seven Springs Church was on Axle Creek about two and a half miles from the church in use by that congregation today. The new building is only a few yards from the Boaz schoolhouse near the junction of the Dycusburg-Salem road, the Dycusburg-Marion road and the Dycusburg-Emmaus road.

On a high bank near Axle Creek were seven springs in a row some few feet apart. This was once a popular picnic spot. High water from the Cumberland River deposited enough sediment to entirely cover these springs which later again came to the surface as one large spring about 100 yards down the creek.

In the early days the seven springs were surrounded on all sides by a thick woodland and cane breaks, the natural habitat of wild turkeys, squirrels and wildcats.

In 1886 Rev. Jim Benton a Methodist minister, held a revival in a brush arbor at Seven Springs. In 1894 Thuse Jeffords built another brush arbor where Rev. Job Hollaway, of Lyon County, preached regularly until cold weather. That winter a little log church was built and Rev. Hollaway was holding a meeting there when the Ohio River Association sent Rev. J. A. Lockhart, in August 1894 to organize a Baptist Church in the community.

The charter members were Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Greenlea, Plenie Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Jeffords, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sparkman, Willie Hill, Lee Travis, Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Jeffords.

Since that time two other churches have been built at that place. At the present the church is located over two miles away from the old location of the seven springs the church still goes by that name. It now has 180 members. Rev. J.T. Cunningham has been pastor for the past fourteen years. Former pastors were, in order: Rev. John Lockhard, Rev. G. F. Waters, Rev. J.C. Kinsolving, Rev. G.S. Summers, Rev. E.M. Eaton, Rev. U.G. Hughes and Rev. W.W. Church. (Web Editor's Note: Bro. Cunningham served as pastor for 21 years, followed by Bro. Kelly Birdsong; Bro. Jim Dameron; Bro. Wells; Bro. Ladd; Bro. Marvin W. Hall (37 years); Bro. George Hensley; Bro. Leo Carter; Bro. Donnie Howton of Dawson Springs; and currently Bro. Lonnie Knight).

The surrounding country is now known as the Seven Springs Community.

Boaz schoolhouse nearby, was named for George L. Boaz, a prominent citizen of the community.

Larrapin Springs was named after its early owner, David Larrapin, miller and distiller who resided on the spot where Ike Stone now lives.

When the Emmaus Baptist Church, not so many miles away was organized its members selected that name from the Bible.

Mr. Marion F. Pogue, of Frances, furnished the information that the little village of Frances was named, probably by a romantic post office clerk, for Miss Frances Folsom, who became the wife of President Grover Cleveland. Frances was the first post office named after the marriage and was so christened on the day the wedding was announced.

At different periods before the coming of the post office this community was variously known as "Cross Roads," "Liberty," and "Needmore," but as each of these names were already in use by other post offices in the state, a new one was necessary. As the people of the community made no suggestion the privilege fell to employees of the post office department, as that is the custom in such instances. The post office at Frances has long since ceased to exist. Settler Shoots Crittenden Deer.

When the early settlers first came to the community now known as Shady Grove they found a delightful camping place shaded by beautiful forest trees like an attractive park, hence its name.

One of these early settlers, it is said, once claims to have stood in Hopkins County and shot across the corner of Caldwell, killing a deer in Crittenden County on the present site of Shady Grove. Shady Grove is on the water shed between the waters of Piney and Donalson Creeks.

Deanwood, formerly Iron Hill, took its name from the Deans, prominent family of that community. Piney Bluff nearby is so called because of the profusion of beautiful pine trees over the picturesque cliffs and bluffs. Piney Creek gets its name for a similar reason. Piney Fork Cumberland Presbyterian Church is on a fork of Piney Creek.

Post Offices Named For Heros
Famous characters from history provided names for certain areas of Crittenden County localities, fanciful names from the brains of prominent citizens for other communities and post-offices.

Most of the post offices have long since been discontinued with the extension of a thorough system of rural routes, but the territory in which they are located still goes by the old name.

Mattoon was originally selected as a name for Bart Moore's store, but now the whole community is so called because the fame of the store spread for miles around. Mr. Moore was known as one of the most successful county merchants in Western Kentucky.

When the Sheridan post office was established it was named in honor of General Phillip Sheridan at the suggestion of A. J. Bebout, who was post master there for several years.

Out west of Crayne is a one-room school called White Hall, which was originally used also for church gatherings. Col. A.H. Cardin gave a good donation towards its erection, as did Senator Clement, A.B. Hodge and others.

Mrs. Cardin took a special interest in the new building. It was she that suggested it be painted white and called White Hall. A much smaller building occupies the spot at this time.

The post office, just below at the cross-roads, was named "View" suggested also by Mrs. Cardin. This post office has been discontinued. Now the name White Hall and View are applied to practically the same community.